Thursday, October 8, 2009

Milleridge Inn at Christmas: Better than Before

STAR RATING:




Our traditional Christmas Eve dinner when we lived on Long Island had been at Milleridge Inn on Route 106 in Jerico. The last two years we were somewhat disappointed with the food, but kept going as a big part of the day was the wonderful atmosphere. This year they were not accepting reservations for early seatings, and we were not too sure how the day would work out.

The Inn is over 300 years old. Well, part of it is. It started out as a small building and gradually grew throughout the years with additions. This makes for lots of cozy rooms to sit in, rather than one large dining area. The original building is still a part of the restaurant today. It is beautifully decorated for Christmas with fireplaces in just about every room. Carolers wander throughout the restaurant and sing a few tunes a capella in each room.

Our party this year consisted of myself, my husband, my parents and our 3 children. Okay, Danny is only 6 months old so he wasn't really a factor here. The adults all started their meal with chopped chicken liver. The taste was very good, even if the consistency was a little soft. My oldest daughter had the fruit cup which was tasty and consisted of melon, pineapple, watermelon, and grapes. My 5 year old had the onion soup, and actually liked it. The gratinee version is available for an additional cost, but the cheese in the regular order suited her just fine.

My oldest ordered chicken fingers from the children's menu. it came with mashed potatoes and green beans/carrots. There were three very large pieces of chicken on her plate. She could only manage to eat only two of them. My younger one ordered a hamburger and this was a standard burger, though bigger than a fast-food burger, but it also came with mashed potatoes and the green beans/carrots. She loved the carrots.

My parents ordered the pot roast. It was so tender that you could break it apart with your fork. My mother couldn't finish all that was on her plate, so I tried it and it was very tasty.

My husband ordered the prime rib which was a decent cut and prepared the way he asked. I had the chateau briand. It consisted of 3 slices of filet mignon in a mushroom sauce. While tasty, I didn't think it was worth the money as I was still hungry (which was why I tasted my Mom's pot roast). I think I would choose either the pot roast or prime rib next time. I let Danny have some of my potatoes and he gobbled them down. They were delicious!

Other menu choices included filet of sole, chicken cordon bleu, and roast goose with bing cherry sauce.

For dessert the kids ordered ice cream. They had little sundaes and the ice cream was very good and obviously made on the premises. The adults all chose bavarian chocolate cream pie which was wonderful!

Our bill for the whole night, including drinks, was about $160 plus tip.


Originally posted at Epinions.com

No comments:

Post a Comment