Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kitchen Aid Hand Mixer Review: Even It's Lowest Speed Is High

I can remember sending my husband out for a hand-mixer. Big mistake. I hadn't gotten one for our wedding shower, and I needed a hand-mixer just to use on the occasions when I didn't want to lug the big Kitchen-Aid mixer out of the closet. 

Well, Marc's idea of buying a mixer is to buy the most expensive - it must be the best. 

He was wrong. 

I've had a love/hate relationship with this mixer since he brought it home. At over $50, it was way too expensive. I just wanted something cheap for like $20. Still, I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I kept it. Unlike now, 7 years later, when I would ask him if he was nuts and send him back to the store. 

In the spirit of Tim "The Tool-Man" Taylor, the Kitchen Aid 5 Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer lives up to it's name: POWER. There is nothing this mixer can't mix. Butter right out of the refrigerator turns to mush. Creaming together any type of shortening is quick work. Pie crust dough comes out great using this mixer. It also is great for making whipped cream or any type of meringue. 

However, even at it's lowest speed, I've found that this mixer splatters dough out of the bowl. Some people might just say to use a bowl with a shield or the splatter guard on the mixer, but it's not that easy for me. I use my mixer a lot with my pots and pans, so trying to cook something in the top of a double-boiler while it's splattering all over the place is a problem. I like to use my Tupperware Thatsa-Bowl for my cakes and cookies, and this can even cause stuff to splatter out of that! 

As I said, I've had this mixer for 7 years, and it's held up well. I have actually been praying for it to die so I could get a new one that has a decent lower speed. Cleaning it is easy with a damp cloth and the beaters disengage to clean in your dishpan or dishwasher. 

I also wish there were more different attachments that came with the mixer. Most come with a few different sets now, but this just has one set of wire beaters. At times, I've thought these beaters were locked in, only to find when I've turned it on that they weren't. 

While this may be a good mixer for some, I think it is way overpriced and not useful if you will ever have to use it with an unshielded bowl. 






No comments:

Post a Comment