Saturday, February 2, 2013

Benadryl Allergy Relief: A Must in Any First Aid Kit or Medicine Cabinet

Lots of people have allergies and I am one of them. So are my children. There's a whole host of things we are allergic to. The primary common allergy we share is hayfever and mold. 

I am reluctant to use Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid for a simple runny nose or sneezing. Often I wait until one of my children or I are really suffering before I will use it. The reason I am reluctant to use it so liberally is my aversion to over-medicating myself or my children, and also the drowsiness side-effects. While it is great at bedtime with helping my children to get to sleep, during the day this can make them cranky. For me, I'll just sit down on the couch and pass out. 

If Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid is so harsh in this manner, why am I saying it should be in everyone's medicine cabinet? Simply put, it works! As someone who is allergic to bee stings, I keep this around. In the past I have gone to the hospital for a shot after being stung. A few years ago we were more than 30 miles away from the nearest hospital when I got stung. At first I panicked, but then my cousin got the Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid that I keep in our First Aid kit and I took that and it stemmed the reaction. 

The reason Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid is in our First Aid kit is that my two daughters have an allergy to some sort of dye. They seem to be a combination of foods that they need to eat to trigger it. One of the triggers seems to be a dye that is in candy such as pixie sticks or other colored sugars. We try to avoid these things, but one time both my oldest daughter and I broke out after eating out at a restaurant. We are talking hive city. It's something I keep with me for just such an emergency. 

Last night my youngest daughter was hives head to toe. This was the first time she had a reaction. I gave her the Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid and put her to bed. Both of my children take it easily due to the bubblegum taste. In the morning, she was perfectly clear; no red rash, no hives. 

Ingredients: diphenhydramine hydrochloride (active ingredient), carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, flavor, glycerin, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sodium citrarte, sorbitol solution. 

Dosage: Adults and children 12 years of age an over: 2 to 4 teaspoons (25-50 mg) every 4 to 6 hours; not to exceed 24 teaspoonfuls in 24 hours. Children 6 to under 12 years of age: 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls (12.5-25 mg) every 4 to 6 hours. Not to exceed 12 teaspoonfuls in 24 hours. Children under 6 years of age: consult your doctor. 

Side Effects & Product Warnings: May cause excitability, especially in children. Do not take this product, unless directed to by a doctor, if you have a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis, or if you have glaucoma or difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostate gland. May cause marked drowsiness; alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers may increase the drowsiness effect. (Duh!) Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this product. Do not take this product if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers without first consulting your doctor. Use caution when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery. Do not use any other products containing diphenhydramine while using this product. As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health professional before using this product. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children, In case of accidental overdose, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. 

While I would not recommend using it instead of going to the hospital when a severe allergic reaction strikes, Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid is a good way to counteract the effects until you can get to a doctor or hospital. Talk to your pediatrician (or family doctor) and see if they recommend you keeping it on hand for just such an emergency, and any guidelines they might give you to using it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment