Sunday, February 3, 2013

Neosporin Review: Makes Boo-Boos Go Bye-Bye

Neosporin first aid antibiotic ointment is the only ointment I keep in my first aid kit. It is simply the easiest to use, most effective antibiotic ointment I have found on the market. 

My oldest is almost 11 now, and we've been through quite a few cuts & scrapes together. Yet, other than one major puncture wound that she had on her thumb, there are no scars to be seen. To that, I credit Neosporin

The main active ingredients in Neosporin are Polymyxin B Sulfate, Bacitracin Zinc, and Neomycin Sulfacte. Hmm. The Bacitracin Zinc sounds familiar, doesn't it? There is an over-the-counter cream of Bacitracin ointment, as well as a prescription cream Bactroban which is what my dermatologist usually prescribes. I still prefer Neosporin over either one of these. 

The inactive ingredients (or base) are what make the difference. Neosporincontains cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, olive oil, sodium pyruvate, tocopheryl acetate and white petrolatum. I believe (and Warner-Lambert, the makers ofNeosporin also claim) that these ingredients help minimize scarring over other brands. 

Recently my 6 year old had a wart removed from her knee. The dermatologist gave me a prescription for Bactroban. Since it was such a small wound, I decided to forgo the prescirption and just use the Neosporin instead. The cauterized wound healed within a week and left no scar behind. 

Some people find that Neosporin prevents adhesive bandages from sticking. The solution I found was to put the Neosporin directly on the adhesive bandagebefore I put it on the wound. This kept the ointment from getting on the skin where the bandage needed to stick. 

The instructions on the tube are to apply between 1 to 3 times daily. I have usually used it twice a day; once in the morning and once at night. 

Product warnings are: For external use only. Do not use in the eyes or apply over large areas of the body. In case of deep or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns, consult a physician. Stop use and consult a physician if the condition persists or gets worse, of if a rash or other allergic reaction develops. Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. Do not use longer than 1 week unless directed by a physician. KEEP THIS AND ALL DRUGS OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. In case of accidental ingestion, seek profession assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. 

My oldest one had a puncture wound on her thumb last year. It ended up being very messy and not even the Neosporin or anything else would help it heal. She ended up having to have the tissue scraped out & the wound cauterized. At that point, the Neosporin was wonderful and helped the cauterized wound heal. However, the initial puncture was something that needed professional help, and I would advise anyone with a wound that seems not to heal to seek out a dermatologist. 






No comments:

Post a Comment